The 7th Earl of Glasgow was appointed Governor of New Zealand in 1892. The museum at the end of the duckpond was built in 1898 to house his New Zealand collections. Some of these articles can still be seen in the museum as part of a display there.
Country Centre Buildings
The Centre Buildings were built in 1700 as the Home Farm. They were once home to farm animals as well as the community of estate and domestic workers who lived in the cottages. The farm buildings were in active use up until the First World War. Now the sawmill is the only part that has retained its original function. In 1977, the buildings were converted into an information office, a cafe, a shop, an exhibition room, two houses and a flat.