There is no written record of when Kelburn Castle was first built, but it is thought to be around 1200. The original Norman Keep was added in 1581 and the new castle and old castle were skillfully joined and re-roofed so that the two periods are now difficult to distinguish from the outside.
In 1700, the 1st Earl doubled the size of the building by adding a William-and-Mary style mansion house onto the Castle at a slight angle, built to the Earl's instructions by the well known mason, Thomson Caldwell.
The Victorian Wing was built in 1879-80, possibly by Alexander Crum, M.P. for Renfrew, who rented Kelburn from 1875 to 1886 from the 6th Earl of Glasgow, who spent most of his time in one of his other Scottish homes.
Note: The castle is still the private home of Earl of Glasgow and his family. Due to this reason, the castle is only open for tours during July, August and the 1st week of September. During this time the tours take place at 2pm. Please see HERE for more information on the castle tours and their availability.